What Is Green Tea ?
Before learning benefits of Green tea , have its brief introduction: Green tea is made solely from the leaves of Camellia sinensis that have undergone minimal oxidation during processing. Both Green tea And Black tea is made from the same plant from which normal tea is made.The only difference is that in green tea the tea leaves are dried or slightly steamed but not fermented (its gives them green colour look) But in black tea the leaves are fermented (it changes the colour, flavour and raises the level of caffeine and tannin).
Secret Behind Green Tea That Makes It So Special And So Healthy :
The secret behind green tea is that it is rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG is a powerful anti-oxidant which besides inhibiting the growth of cancer cells, it kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue. It has also been effective in lowering cholesterol levels, and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots.Also it helps in lowering the risk of developing heart disease.
Health Benefits Of Green Tea :
The health benefits of Green Tea are basically due to its anti oxidizing properties which come from its Caffeine, Catechin Polyphenols and Theonine. These health benefits can be listed as under;
1) Anti-Ageing : One of the benefits of Green Tea is that regular consumption of it can effectively delay symptoms of ageing . The free radicals created in body are responsible for ageing the body. The anti oxidants present in Green Tea helps to neutralize the oxidants or free radicals present in the body .The Catechin Polyphenols (Epigallocatechin Gallate) present are mainly responsible for the anti oxidizing effects .
2) Boosting Up Immunity System: Another benefits of green tea is that it helps in boosting your body immune system. Researches show that people who regularly drink green tea do not fall prey to common bacterial and viral infections easily. The Catechins present in green tea prevent bacterial and virus from attaching themselves to cell walls and thus infecting them. These Catechins also counter the toxins released by microbes. This anti microbial property also protects from bad breathe, dysentery, diarrhoea, tooth decay, indigestion, flu, cough & cold, colitis etc. which are caused by microbial & fungal action.
3) Stimulating : The stimulating effect is due to the Caffeine and Tannins present in green tea. Caffeine & Tannins , despite their adverse effects on health in the long run, are very good as stimulants. Thus, a cup of tea makes you feel fresh and highly energized.
4) Astringency : This is another health benefits of green tea .It helps in triggering contraction in muscles and tissues and tones up muscles and skin.Who says you to drink green tea? Don’t Drink,just a mere mouthwash with this daily cause sufficient contraction in gums to keep them firm and tight on teeth and thus prevent loosening and falling of teeth in long run.Also washing hair with it makes them grow stronger day by day.
5) Anti Carcinogenic : Apart from ageing, free radicals are also responsible for causing certain types of cancer. The Catechins present in green tea neutralize these free radicals, prevent formation of carcinogens like nitrosamines and reduce the chances of cancer. Green tea is now being clinically used in prevention of cancer, particularly those pertaining to colon, rectum, pancreas and intestines.
6) Cardiac & Arterial Health : Certain components present in green tea helps in preventing blood thickness, thereby reducing chances of Arterial Sclerosis, Thrombosis, Cardiac and Cerebral Strokes etc.
7) Reducing Cholesterol : Green tea has been seen effective in reducing cholesterol level to some extent, probably due to its alkaline nature.
8) Act as a Anti-Diabetic : If not taken with sugar, the alkaline nature of green tea helps reduce the blood glucose level. Moreover, the anti oxidizing and astringent nature of its constituents ensure good health and better functioning of pancreas and thereby better secretion of insulin and resultant better decomposing and absorption of sugar. This helps keep diabetes away.
9) Boosting up Stamina & Endurance : Yet another benefits of green tea is that its various components helps in boosting up the stamina and endurance in your body. Also it effectively counters muscular pain due to over exercise of muscles.
10) Weight Loss : Green tea also helps lose weight by enhancing metabolism rate and thereby faster consumption of fat storage of the body. Drink a cup full of green tea in the morning and you are sure to lose a few pounds of excess weight.
11) De-intoxicating : Green tea is the provides a much helping hand in getting rid of hangovers and fatigue caused by consumption of alcoholic beverages and lack of sleep due to late night parties.Green tea with Lemon juice is a very good and popular remedy to cut effect of alcohols effect instantly.
Harmful Effects Of Green Tea :
Till date, apart from various benefits of green tea, the only harmful side-effect reported from drinking it is insomnia due to the presence of caffeine in it. However, green tea contains less caffeine than coffee ,as there are approximately thirty to sixty mg. of caffeine in six – eight ounces of tea, compared to over one-hundred mg. in eight ounces of coffee.